More information about cookies
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files that are stored onto your terminal equipment (computer or mobile device) when you visit certain websites. At Shimano we may use similar techniques, such as pixels, web beacons, device fingerprints, etc. For the sake of consistency, all these techniques combined will be hereafter referred to as "cookies".
Why are cookies used?
Cookies may be used for many different purposes. In the first place, cookies can be required to make the website function properly. For example, without cookies it would be difficult to make a website remember that you have logged in. These are called functional cookies.
Cookies can also be used to analyse how a website is used, to count the number of visitors, to learn how the website may be improved. We do not link the website usage statistics and other reports to individual people. These cookies are called analytical cookies.
Thirdly, social media cookies are used to make functionalities of social media websites possible. Think of a Google map with interactive directions, a 'like' button for Facebook or the exchange of information, such as sharing and watching videos via social media.
Functional or necessary cookies support the websites and apps of Shimano to function properly. These cookies ensure that:
- The information that you enter on the various pages during possible steps is remembered, as well as whether you are logged in, so that you do not have to fill in all your details again;
- Your preferences, such as language or location are stored;
- Your browser settings are stored so that you can view our websites optimally on your screen;
- You have the possibility to save your login details so that you do not have to enter them every time;
- It is possible to respond to messages on our websites and apps;
- The websites and the apps are evenly loaded, so that they remain functional and accessible;
- It is possible to detect abuse of or potential problems on our websites, apps and services, for example by registering a number of consecutive failed log-in attempts.
For the use of functional or necessary cookies that have no or only limited consequences for your privacy, no permission is required. These cookies can therefore not be disabled.
List of functional or necessary cookies Shimano can use on their websites and apps are:
With Analytics cookies we collect statistics from the users of our websites and apps. By measuring website usage, we can continue to improve our websites and apps for the benefit of our users. Data we measure are:
- To track the number of visitors on our web pages and in our apps;
- To measure the duration that each visitor spends on our web pages and in our apps;
- To determine the order in which a visitor visits the various pages of our websites and apps;
- To assess which parts of our sites and apps need adjustment;
- To optimize our websites and apps in general.
List of analytical cookies Shimano can use on their websites and apps are:
Cookie name: _ga
Expiry: 2 years
Cookie descripti on: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website.
Cookie name: _gat
Cookie description: Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate.
Cookie name: _gid
Cookie description: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website.
Social media cookies
- Youtube (visit link)
List of social media cookies Shimano can use on their websites and apps are:
Cookie name: player
Expiry: 1 year
Cookie description: Saves the user's preferences when playing embedded videos from Vimeo.